Bloomfield Public Library (BPL) aims to provide all members of our diverse community with access to comprehensive services, expansive print and electronic resources, technology, and expert assistance from a caring and responsive staff. By breaking down barriers to access and opening doors to opportunity, building community, and encouraging lifelong learning, BPL works to improve the quality of life for all of our residents and strives to be the heart of our town.
- BPL Strategic Plan
- BPL Social Justice Mission Statement
- Bloomfield: Building a Better Community (Town Overview)
Library Director’s Greeting
Bloomfield Public Library is extremely grateful to the Bloomfield community for its support of the new library buildings project. On Election Day 2021, Bloomfield citizens voted overwhelmingly in support of the two library project with 2,716 YES votes!
The new library buildings will incorporate feedback from the 2021 community survey, with a renovation and space increase to McMahon Wintonbury Library and a teardown, rebuild and space increase to Prosser Library. Improvements to the libraries include engineering and construction to mitigate flood damage in the future and making the libraries ADA compliant and energy efficient.
While we anticipate more good things to come with the library buildings project, here are some awesome things you can do at BPL right now:
- Get a library card for free.
- Reserve a study room space.
- Play computer games with your friends.
- Use BPL Online to stream a movie from home with Hoopla and Kanopy for free.
- Checkout your favorite book, blockbuster, or cookbook without worrying about fines.
- Borrow a museum pass for free or reduced admission to 19 local cultural institutions.
- Attend a program for free. We had more than 11,800 program participants in the last year!
- Sign your kid or grandkid up for the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program.
- Learn a new language with Mango Languages or read the NYT online for free.
- Scan, fax, email, and print documents from a BPL computer.
- Borrow a hotspot and a laptop computer to access Wi-Fi from home for free.
- Browse the NEW books! Find a new favorite author today for free.
- Say hello to BPL staff and fellow townsfolk. We’re here for you!
A Book with Many Pages
When people think about libraries, they inevitably think about books and reading. Bloomfield Public Library continues to pride itself on that association, but as the world changes ever more rapidly, the library must expand its mission and services in order to remain a vital resource for all members of the community.
Partnerships Build Stronger Libraries
The library, in partnership with local organizations and town departments, provides an array of services to the community. Membership in Library Connection Inc., a consortium of 29 other libraries, makes possible access to a much wider selection of materials, while Connecticut State Library funding for Connecticar provides transportation of those items. The library also subscribes to OverDrive through the consortium, which allows for the procurement and sharing of e-books, audio books, and videos. These partnerships strengthen the library’s services.
Staying Connected with Digital Literacy
Well-maintained networks, computers, printers, scanners, fax machines and copiers make the library the central location in town for anyone seeking to communicate with the world at large. The availability of this equipment in conjunction with the expertise provided by library staff provides a vital service. Patrons are encouraged to sign up for one-on-one help to better navigate electronic devices, the Internet, and the ins-and-outs of the job market. Developing digital literacy skills is a key component of library service in the 21st Century.
A Place Where Something Always Happens
Library staff provides a rich events schedule for patrons of all ages. There are programs designed specifically for school-age children, teens and adults, encompassing an assortment of literary, musical, theatrical and artistic topics. With library outreach to children in Bloomfield schools and residents of local assisted living communities and long-term care facilities, we always welcome the opportunity to take our show on the road.
Community + Library = A Better Bloomfield
McMahon Wintonbury Library and Prosser Library serve as crucial meeting places for the community, and each building has a small meeting space/study room. These spaces offer a private and accessible option for tutors and students, as well as work or meeting space for business people.